Thursday, February 27, 2014

12 Week Update -- Ankle #2

This week has been a really transitional week for me because even though I'm progressing by being out of the walking boot, I've slowed down a bit because it's a lot harder on my ankle to be in the aircast.

I saw my ankle surgeon on Friday morning and got my boot off and fitted for an aircast ankle brace.  (You can read about my whole visit here).  I'm supposed to be weaning myself off of the boot and into the aircast over the next week or two.  Well, I've been bad.  I really don't like the aircast...it's very uncomfortable to wear, even if I'm not walking in it.  I find it too constrictive.  So, for the past few days I've been walking around the house without anything...at least most of the time.  I have been using my cane when I don't have the aircast or boot on.

I went to church on Sunday with my boot on and then came home and put the aircast on for the rest of the day because we went to my in-laws.  I wore the aircast on Monday to physical therapy and then wore the boot at home on and off the rest of the day because my ankle was really sore and the thought of putting the restrictive aircast back on wasn't an option.  Tuesday and Wednesday I didn't wear the aircast or boot at all with the exception of when I had to go out and drive to pick up my daughter from school.  I know I should be wearing it, but I just find it really annoying.

The best news of the week:  I can drive!!!!  Granted, I can't drive far, or for long, but I have a little bit of my freedom back.  The bad news is that I have to wear my brace for driving...at least for the moment.


My goal for the month of March (basically the next 4 weeks)...to be able to go to my son's school and have lunch with him.  He's at that age where soon he won't want to have lunch with me because it will be the most embarrassing thing on earth to have lunch, in public, with his mother.  My kids are growing up too quick!


No comments:

Post a Comment