Thursday, January 2, 2014

29 Day Update -- Ankle #2

Today in physical therapy we started weight shifting...oh happy day!  Weight shifting is exactly what it sounds like...you stand up and shift your weight from your good foot to your bad one.  It's pretty painful, especially when you first start.  Right now, I can put maybe 25-30% weight on my operated foot.  The ultimate goal is to be able to stand on my new ankle and balance for at least 20 seconds.

I was also sent home with a green theraband today.  A theraband is a resistance band that is very common in physical therapy.  The different colors indicate the resistance levels.  Even though the green is not too hard, it's still a challenge for me right now.  Doing the theraband exercises is really helpful for recovery and getting your strength back.



Coming home from therapy was tough today...my ankle was really sore.  Luckily it was time for pain meds!  I took one Vicodin and iced it again.  Right now, just a couple hours later, it's back down to a 1-2 pain level.  Not too bad!

There is a bit of redness on my incision that I will keep an eye on.  It looks like I have a bit of a blood blister on it, which may be normal, but I'll need to make sure it's nothing more than that.  I'll monitor it over the next few days and make sure the area of redness doesn't get larger and that I don't get any other symptoms of infection (fever, pain and swelling at the site, etc).

It just started snowing a little while ago and I'm really glad that it waited until after my therapy was over to start...the thought of going out in my crutches and sloshing through slippery snow is scary.


The view from my window is so pretty...I want to go out and catch snowflakes on my tongue!



No comments:

Post a Comment