Friday, December 20, 2013

2 Week Post-Op Appointment – Ankle #2

Remember the other day when I said people were good?  Well, they are!  My hubs and I had to leave the house at 7:30am in order to get into DC on time for my post-op check up.  So what do we do with the kids?  One of our neighbors agreed to let my daughter go over to their house when we left, and stay there until she had to leave for school.  And a friend of the family let my son sleep over their house the night before so he could go into school with their son in the morning.  This left us with no worries on how to get the kids to school, which was nice...especially considering I was worried enough about the appointment!

After arriving at the doctor's office, and were called back, I immediately told the cast lady (the cast people put on or take off your cast/splint) that before they get started on anything that I did have a pseudo-fall a week and a half ago.  Immediately, I can tell by the look on her face that she's starting to bug out.  I quickly explain to her that I had been in touch with my doctor's office and did everything I was instructed to do.  I tell her that although I had x-rays taken at my local hospital, I forgot to bring them.  So after taking my splint off, they have me take new x-rays.  




I saw my doctor's physician's assistant...she handles mostly everything for my doctor...I think she does everything he does, except for surgery!  I have one of those surgeons who is really good at what they do, but is not so much on the patient care/bedside manner thing.  Oh well, the PA is great.  She confirmed what my local ER doctor told me and said that my new ankle looks fine and that I did not do any damage when I stepped down on it.

I explained to her about the increased pain this time around and she said that this was definitely due to the trauma from landing on it...especially since it was so soon after my surgery.  She offered to give me a new prescription for the original Oxycodone that I was on (the every 3 hour one).  I told her that the Vicodin seemed to be working okay, and was a little easier on my stomach, so we agreed to stick with that for now.  So my current meds are: Vicodin every 4-6 hours, Oxycodone (extended release) every 12 hours, and Colace.  I was told I can stop taking my aspirin, which made me happy (one less drug in my system).  And I asked if I can start taking my Celebrex again, but she said 'no' because it interferes with bone growth/healing.

So the good news is that my bones are healing the way they should.  And NO CAST this time!  My doc had originally told us after I got out of surgery that I wouldn't need a cast this time around, but I wasn't believing it until it actually happened.  I can't even tell you how much this changes things.  The fact that I don't have to go another month being non weight bearing (NWB) really makes a huge difference.  Because of my SED, my whole body has arthritis and suffers.  When I'm NWB, it really takes a toll on my hands, wrists, elbows, shoulders, and back.

The bad news about the appointment was that my skin is being a non-cooperating bastard and not healing up the way it should, so I have to leave my stitches in a few days longer.  They cleaned up my wound and then redressed it and gave me the walking boot.  I was told that I was to treat the boot like a cast...basically in it all the time, even when I sleep.  I did take it off to shower though...but I can't get the wound wet, so I still have to practice cast care...so annoying!  I can't wait until it's not a process to get showered anymore!  I miss that.

It's awesome how you can see the bruising on my heel through my gauze...ouch!


My foot feels sore in the back, where my Achilles lengthening was done and my big toe feels achy, which seems weird to me.  My stitches bother me...they pinch and make my foot feel tight :(  I have an appointment next Monday to get them out and they better be ready!  Until then, I'm mostly in bed, with my foot elevated.  I'm still taking advantage of my polar cube, which greatly helps with the pain.  I have it stuck in my walking boot kind of willy-nilly, and unhook it when I have to get up to use the restroom.  My foot feels so much better now that I have my stupid splint off!


And one of the best parts of the day...I came home to more goodies on my front stoop :)  A friend of mine dropped off a plate of cookies and some homemade hard candy because she knew I was going to have a long, hard day...people are good!
 




No comments:

Post a Comment